Just a Sunflower

Saturday, November 01, 2008

A very challenging client in a group just graduated last night! Phewww! I didn't realize until group was over how much emotional space he took up. He had perfect attendance, so we have not had a break since he first arrived. I found myself saying things like, "well now that ** is gone, I can finally confront ###(other client) with ______." I didn't mean to say those things, but it kept coming out again and again as a co-facilitator and I were discussing the progress and needs of other groups members. Suddenly I realized so much of my emotional energy was on just maintaining the group with his presence, that I wasn't able to use energy to progess the group.....phewww.

I'm very curious of how this group may look different now and feel different. Groups are such living, breathing creatures. Each one is different as the recipe of the participants create the life. It is constant learning and adjusting on the part of the facilitators, but luckily for me, I believe it is one of my strong points. Well, now that ** is gone, I can finally #####....phew!

1 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Katie: said...

I bet your group is sharing a sigh of relief. I used to be in a group that was dominated by one person. Even though the counselor tried to shift the focus from that person, she ultimately ALWAYS made it about herself. No one got to work on their crap until she left. It kind of sucked. But, after she was gone, I loved going.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home